DAY SIX: YOUR FIVE SENSES RIGHT NOW
Sight: Right now I am looking at my computer screen, but I also have the computer angled so that I can see my awesome Christmas tree in the background. My roommate and I made a silent decision to not take down our tree until we move out. It’s probably one of the best decisions we’ve made.
Touch: I am touching my keyboard. It’s a little hard to feel right now though. My apartment is an icebox and my fingers are the first thing to freeze and go numb.
Smell: We have a pumpkin spice air freshener. No regrets. Even then, my roommate got it for me 🙂 #basic
Hearing: I just finished the 10 favorite songs post, so I am listening to the rest of my “Found” playlist where I keep the songs I hear off the radio.
Taste: A venti blonde roast from Starbucks that is slowly cooling in this ice box apartment.
When I first read this post, I had no idea what it meant. Luckily, I went to my source and found out. That should be all the last minute uploading for today. Until tomorrow!
DAY FIVE: 10 SONGS YOU LOVE RIGHT NOW
I love doing this. None of these songs are particularly hip or cool… or recent, but I love them more than I love myself.
- Dark Blue – Jack’s Mannequin
- Drunk on the Mic – Mickey Shiloh
- Wish I Knew You – The Revivalists
- Sit Next to Me – Foster the People
- 6 AM – Fitz and the Tantrums
- Mother, We Just Can’t Get Enough – New Radicals
- Es Tarde – Juanes
- Don’t – Bryson Tiller (shout out to my Maddogg)
- Mi Gente – J Balvin (either the original or Beyonce version is good in my book)
- Remember Me – Coco
I basically listen to the same songs on repeat. New songs are collected while driving and I can’t use my phone and drive. Sometimes I just forget what I heard, which is sad. Hopefully I’m better about that in 2018.
DAY FOUR: WHAT ARE YOU AFRAID OF?
Oh, let me count the ways. I am actually a very easy scare–people walk up too silently and I freak out, arms a-flyin’–but as far as real fears, I have some, especially now.
I am afraid of failing the bar. I took the LSAT three times because my score was not that great. The bar is significantly harder. I’m hoping that the methodology will get me through so that I can pass it the first time. Even if I fail it… there’s always the February bar. In the interests of not putting myself through hell and getting a job, I’d still like to pass it the first time.
If my mother were sitting next to me, she would tell me to stop thinking that way. However, I think acknowledging the fear is fine, as long as I work to overcome it. I plan on working my posterior off the entire summer so that I can do my best.
As far as fears that I cannot overcome no matter how much I study? Clowns. My mom doesn’t like them either. I think that it is because of a porcelain clown doll that I had in Dominican Republic when I was very young. We kept throwing it out because I was too young to play with it and my mom didn’t like it. Somehow, it found it’s way back to my grandparents’ house every time we tossed it. It still freaks us out to think about the doll.
DAY THREE: YOUR FAVORITE QUOTE
WHERE DO I BEGIN?
Firstly, anything by Nayyirah Waheed is amazing. Real talk. Everything she write strikes that chord in me that makes me close my eyes and reevaluate my perspective. There are so many quotes from Junot Diaz, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Dr. Seuss (no shame), quotes from my mother, and so many different poets and authors.
I actually hate the question of “favorites” because preferences are always changing. However, there has been one quote that has stayed with me since I was in seventh grade.
“From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.”
– Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Yes, it is talking about the end of the world, it’s possibly talking about greed… but I think it’s a little more than that too. It’s about passion and being so consumed with it that the passion leads to destruction. Outside of the fact that I am a fiery, passionate person, I have always wanted to feel that strongly about something. It’s like finding your purpose and I suppose I am still searching for mine.
DAY TWO: 20 FACTS ABOUT YOU
- I was born in Dominican Republic.
- I am an only child.
- A part of me wants to stop doing this “20 Facts” challenge because that is giving away far too much information about myself which people can then use to steal my identity.
- I’m smart about the information I put on the interwebs.
- I have failed classes before (not “received a low grade” fail, but actual “F” fail).
- I call my roommate a nerd on an almost daily basis.
- My hair care routine takes about two hours.
- My hair care routine is not as effective as I wish it would be despite the hours that I spend.
- I sing in the shower.
- I will never have a child by my own blood, most likely.
- I think adoption is a beautiful thing to do.
- I kill literally every plant that comes into my possession.
- I like all red wines, but only Rieslings as far as white wines go.
- I carry Shout Wipes with me at all times because I am a sloppy person.
- I am the Jedi Master of getting stains out of white shirts.
- I like photography.
- My favorite animal is actually the common dog.
- I used to ride horses.
- I started wearing makeup in 2013.
- I identify as Afro-Latina (even though that’s “not a thing” according to my mom).
This 20 Facts thing was not as hard as I thought it would be. The key is to stream of conscious everything–without revealing the answers to your security questions. 😉
DAY ONE: INTRODUCTION AND RECENT PHOTO
I am Marcie. I am a naturalized citizen, with a lingering immigrant mentality. I am quickly barreling towards 30… but for all everyone else knows, I am 26 and have been for a couple years now. All I really want to do is give back and help other people and I chose to do it through law. I am a third-year law student (3L) with my graduation finally approaching in May. I have loved all my experiential practice and have hated every living second of being in law school. From what I understand, that’s… normal? I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing beyond that point, except the bar exam.
Continue reading “31 Day Challenge: Day One”
I know it’s January and not the beginning of January, but I’ve been wanting to do this challenge for some time. I never have much to write about since my life is basically law school, so I thought that a challenge would kickstart me into doing something with this blog. I got the challenge from a blog that I follow (enticing vice) and it seemed doable enough for my melting brain. 🙂
So be ready for some Marcie spam.